Friday, December 2, 2011

How do I make the Yahoo chess board larger?

How do I make the Yahoo Chess Board larger? All of a sudden it is a lot smaller than it always used to be.|||Make the window larger, the usual way, by dragging the edges with the mouse.


Then use the keyboard to hold down the CTRL key and type:


鈥?鈥?+ for larger,


鈥?鈥?- for smaller.


CTRL 0 (zero) will restore to original size.|||If you play at FICS, the Free Internet Chess Server, and if you use the WinBoard interface, if you wanted, your board could be as large as this!





http://www.edcollins.com/chess/fics-winb鈥?/a>





That's probably too large of a board, even for me! I normally have it about half that size!





That's an actual screen capture of my screen, just after I logged in as a guest, and just after I maxed the board to make it fit the entire screen as much as possible. WinBoard allows up to 18 different board sizes. There are two sizes even larger than this, but those are too large for my monitor and screen resolution, which is currently 1920 x 1080.





Of course, I want to point out that my board doesn't always look like that. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the wood theme, and I just use a plain green or brown colored board. Other times I use a marble board, or a board with a different colored wood. Also, sometimes I use a different font for the chess pieces.





All of these things, and more, are possible with WinBoard.





Just so you know, Yahoo Chess sucks. Here's 36 reasons why:





http://www.edcollins.com/chess/yahoo-vs-鈥?/a>





The award-winning article was written more than twelve years ago, but everything is still true today!

No comments:

Post a Comment