Friday, December 2, 2011

How can i get people to join chess club?

I've just started a new club at my school, Chess Club, and I want to get EVERYONE to join. What could I do to get people to join? Any ideas? What is/was successful in your highschool? Looking for insightful responses.|||A lot of people don't know how to play chess anymore. Have you thought about offering free lessons when they join. In other words, selling it to people who do no know how to play but want to learn. That might help.


Mentor people who are learning to play as well as playing other skilled chessplayerss.


It is just an idea but that worked in my Yeshiva a few years ago.


Good luck|||Put posters on the walls to let people know you have a club. Play chess in the lunch room everyday. This will attract the attention of people who might like to join. If you want to attract everyone you might consider having members of different social/academic/ethnic groups participate in these public games. Research some of the benefits of playing chess--like improving thinking skills and include them on the posters. Good luck!|||Should just play chess with me, I'll cream you online.





email me!





Chess club at school will get you nerd-tagged.





I was the football quarter-back in my small-town school and I also headed up the chess team, I was fortunate to be able to be the leader of my entire school popularity-wise.





I can teach you alot, email me.





Might also try pizza %26amp; flyers with mention of pizza!





At least get homies if not chessers.|||People feel intimidated by chess. They'd rather say they don't want to play than that they can't play. Find a teacher who knows how to play and is willing to show kids, one at a time, how to do the moves. It can be done pretty quickly, if you don't have a lot of people standing around watching, trying to put their two cents in while someone is trying to learn. I always tell students, even if you end up not liking the game, for the rest of your life, when someone asks, "Do you play chess?" They can say, "Yes". Sort of a status thing. Once they learn, they usually like it so they continue playing, get better, and there you go....more members. I always ask kids if they just want to play a "learning" game at first. Not competitive, just practice moving the pieces. When during the learning game they end up winning, just the way it happens sometimes. Then they're hooked. "I beat the teacher, yea, first time out. Want to play, this game is fun." You could also have them watch, "Searching for Bobby Fischer" a really good chess movie or read about the "Harlem Knights", kids who got to go all over the world playing chess. Good luck. |||Well, why do you like chess? You just need to share with them the reasons why you personally like it so much, and if they are interested they will join, and if they are not interested, there is no use pursuing them for they are probably not going to change their minds.|||FOOD!


people will do anything for FREE food. Trust me, i was able to get a lot of people to join a school club called the 'Disney Club', i mean honestly if that in itself doesn't constitute dorkiness, and yet by offering free cookies people came. what a success.





good luck|||I find that a lot of people flock to clubs that offer food and drink. You can rotate between members who have already joined - for example, on friday at lunch one person can bring in Brownies and the next friday someone brings in Cookies.





|||Chess seems difficult, so you may want to emphasize the LEARNING/INSTRUCTION the club might do for NEW players...





just a thought, good luck!|||Good luck because highschool students are jerks but otherwise you should probably just put together some prize like an ipod that people could win in like a chess tournament held every year by the chess club. |||I joined the chess club because my friend said you get free candy. But he was wrong =(


I'll bet if candy is offered a lot of bored people will join.|||Make it naked Chess|||Free Chess Lessons! Explaining the game. |||i was on the chess team and we always had a pizza party that got alot|||Offer to feed and/or pay them|||food|||hot girls|||If they don't like chess they won't join, simple as that. It's hardly the most exciting pursuit for the young and active teen.|||tell them you'll pay them thats the only way anyone i know would even consider going to something as gay as chess club


no offense|||Attractive nerds|||chess club is for losers

No comments:

Post a Comment